Skip to main content

Both Sides of the Coin

I think I've gained a new appreciation for the "breadwinning" role of the family structure. As a stay-at-home mom, I didn't quite understand the "other side." Now that I'm the one working to take care of my widowed mother and three children, I've gained valuable insight and a better appreciation for both roles. It's not easy being the homemaker or the provider. Both roles are so valuable.

Husbands, make sure you thank your wives for the dinners, the laundry, and the children (who are still alive at the end of the day and relatively clean). Make sure you help out when you're home. I know it's the last thing you want to do, but your wife appreciates it when you wash the dishes or help get the kids ready for bed. (Hint: if you want to enhance your sex life, go clean the bathrooms or dust. Extra brownie points if you offer to cook dinner. Trust me, guys.) Plan a date night. Give her a night off, even if it's just her taking a bubble bath with a glass of wine while you put the kids to bed. Make sure she feels loved and appreciated. Don't ever take your woman for granted.

Wives, make sure your husbands know how much you appreciate their hard work. They're exhausted mentally and physically when they get home. Sometimes it's an effort to do anything beyond sitting on the couch. I know you're exhausted from the kids and you'd really like some help, dang it. Been there, girls. You don't feel sexy with boogers on your shirt and you haven't showered in two days even though you're covered in baby vomit. All you want is a bubble bath and some freaking peace and quiet. Make an effort once in a while if you can to make your hubby feel extra appreciated. (Yes, you heard me. You know exactly what I'm talking about.) Don't nag. Prayer and kind communication work much better.

Both of you need to make sure your spouse feels appreciated and loved. You'll have to take turns serving each other, even when you're beyond exhausted. It's not easy, but it's worth it. Trust me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Texas-Style Feast

Ok, time for a food post! In an alternate reality, I would be a chef. Here is what we had for supper today... Baked Chili-Bacon Potatoes Poke a few holes in your (washed) potato and coat with bacon drippings. Rub some chili powder and salt into the skins. Wrap in foil and bake at 400 F for an hour. Suggested toppings: sour cream, salsa, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Garlic-Roasted Zucchini & Corn Take about three zucchini, washed and chopped, and toss together with a bag of corn, olive oil, minced garlic, salt & pepper. Bake at 375 F for about 30-35 min. Simply Divine Steak I don't believe in heavy seasoning. Sometimes simple is best - especially when it comes to a good steak. I purchased some beautifully thick sirloin steaks, patted them dry with a paper towel, then simply brushed them with some butter, salt, and pepper on each side. Grill them on medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side. You want it pink and juicy on the inside, so don't grill them too long. Once...

He Is Enough

Though barren wastelands I travel through, Though darkening hour should cover me, Though my strength is e'er weakening still, I know my God will hold me. No earthly possessions do I own, No place to settle, still. Though survival seems an e'er present theme, I know my God shall sustain me. I have been brought low, But my battered heart yet beats. My life seems shattered into pieces, But I know my God will heal me. He is enough to guide my paths. He is enough to light my way. He is enough to hold me up, And provide my every need. He is enough to be my only Home And make me flourish where I am. He is enough, He is my All-in-All. He is my Rock And guiding hand. He is enough. - Carey D.

Just Wait

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I tried online dating... for about 24 hours. I was curious but in the end, disappointed. It felt like I was online shopping for a boyfriend... oh wait...  After a few "Hey, you look hot! Let's get to know each other better" type messages, I shut the account down. Not sure what I was expecting, but it felt so weird and awkward. Detached. Impersonal. Not for me. I realized that even after all of the crap I've been through, deep down I'm still a hopeless (and stupid) romantic. I still think two people can just meet in real life. If two people want to spend the rest of their lives together, shouldn't their current lives (social circles, activities, interests/hobbies) already run parallel with each other? Then it's simply a matter of joining hands and going through life together, right? I felt a strong urge to just wait.  There is  someone for you. Just be patient. I know it sounds weird. It's not that I liter...